April is here, and that means it’s national Child Abuse Prevention Month (CAPM)!
In 2017, TexProtects | Champions for Children also became Prevent Child Abuse Texas – the Texas chapter of Prevent Child Abuse America (PCAA). This year, PCAA and all of its state chapters are spreading the message: Preventing child abuse and neglect can be simpler than you think – often, all it takes to create great childhoods is to Do More of What You Love.
Yes, it’s that simple. By channeling your interests into the lives of children, your neighbors, and your community, you can uplift them and give them the strength and resiliency they need to thrive.
All parents want to provide for and nurture their child in a positive, healthy environment, but sometimes they need a little support along the way – and they don’t know how to ask for it. In a national survey, 94% of parents said they needed help of some kind; 86% said they would be grateful for services, childcare or other support. However, in a separate study, fewer than 20% of parents said they would actually seek help.
So what can you do?
- Love to read? Volunteer for an after-school reading program or book club – you’ll help kids meet new friends and spark their imaginations, too.
- Love to cook? Give a new mom a break by bringing over dinner, offering to run an errand, or babysitting.
- Love sports? Coach a youth sports team to teach kids the value of teamwork – they’ll learn how to trust teammates and themselves.
- Love to play host or hostess? Host a kid-friendly BBQ or organize a block party so parents can socialize without the stress of finding a sitter – social connections with other parents help to establish a strong support network.
- Want your voice to be heard? Contact your elected officials and urge them to support policies and programs that promote safe, healthy childhoods. (TexProtects can definitely help you with this: Just go to texprotects.org, look for the “Stay Updated!” box, and sign up to receive our legislative advocacy alerts. Also, see our 2019 Legislative Agenda and our Legislative Advocacy Portal.)
To see more of how Small Steps Can Make a Big Difference, visit this resource page by Prevent Child Abuse America: https://preventchildabuse.org/small-steps-2019/
For a listing of 2019 Child Abuse Prevention Month Events near you, please click here.